Chronicles of the Sky. Tempelhof in Berlin: from the airport to the public park
Located in the heart of Berlin, the former Tempelhof airport, symbol of the Cold War, has now become a huge 386 hectare area of greenery, much larger than Central Park in New York, more than 10 times the size surface of the Parc de la Villette in Paris. & nbsp;
Built in 1923, the Tempelhof was one of the oldest airports in the world, the first to be served directly by a metro. It was refurbished under the Third Reich between 1936 and 1941, with this monumental 1.2 km semicircular terminal, symbol of Nazi architectural gigantism, the tallest building in the world, before the construction of the Pentagon.
Its oval shape and its two tracks were to represent an eagle in flight, the emblem of Germany par excellence. A very avant-garde airport which inspired the architects of many other world airports. Tempelhof, a mythical airport, which above all allowed West Berlin, to escape the blockade imposed by the Soviets between 1948 and 1949. Taken from the Germans by the Americans at the end of the war, it was from Tempelhof that was put in place the largest airlift in history, during which 1,400 flights were made daily to supply the city with food and supplies.
Until the fall of the Berlin Wall, Tempelhof welcomed millions of passengers. It was one of the bases of the Lufthansa company, before its activity declined and was transferred, to Tegel, and Schönefeld, the former airport of East Berlin.
It long attracted the envy of property developers before being transformed into an urban park. The runways and the listed historic terminal have been preserved.
Today, the Tempelhof tarmac is a delight for cyclists, lovers of giant kites and other joggers. It is a very atypical space of freedom where one also comes to garden and grill some sausages on a makeshift barbecue. The Berliners are attached to it. And if you go through Berlin, the walk to Tempelhof is worth a detour. & Nbsp;